Here it is – the recipe I wanted to post last Friday, but … it just didn’t work out. Have you had days like that? Or a whole week, like I did?
Here is my own recipe for really, truly, deliciously crisp and completely gluten free homemade graham crackers. These have passed all the tests of a good graham cracker – they have been used for s’mores tons of times, been used in recipes, been dunked in milk, and been made into peanut butter and graham cracker sandwiches. But the best test of all has been my “wheat eating” family members all unanimously telling me ( unsolicited, I might add) that they like my homemade graham crackers better than any ones made with wheat. : D Now that’s success!!
Let’s get right down to the recipe:
Isn’t that genius? I can cut out loads at a time! It’s so much fun!!!
Here’s another view of it: ( you should have seen me trying to operate this thing with one hand and hold the camera with the other hand!)
recipe for Gluten Free Graham Crackers
Here is my own recipe for really, truly, deliciously crisp and completely gluten free homemade graham crackers. These have passed all the tests of a good graham cracker – they have been used for s’mores tons of times, been used in recipes, been dunked in milk, and been made into peanut butter and graham cracker sandwiches. But the best test of all has been that my “wheat eating” family members have all unanimously told me ( unsolicited, I might add) that they like my homemade graham crackers better than ones made with wheat. Now that’s success!!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- 1/2 cup butter ( if allergic to dairy (use a safe butter-flavored shortening))
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a separate bowl (stir the dry ingredients:)
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups *Brown Rice Flour Blend (see note)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Now pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the mixer, adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup water until it forms a smooth, workable dough. By workable, I mean you can pick it up in your hands without it being too sticky or too dry and crumbly. Sometimes I knead it with my hands right in the mixing bowl just a little until it feels right.
- Next, wrap it in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour, or even a day if you need to.
- After it’s well chilled, take it out and cut it in half or in thirds
- Preheat oven to 325
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into rectangles and prick with fork to resemble graham crackers. I like to roll it out on parchment paper to make transferring to the cookie sheet easier.
- Remove the outer scraps and save to make more graham crackers.
- Bake on cookie sheet in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Do not over-brown.
- Immediately upon removing from oven, re-cut the graham crackers along the cutting lines to make removing them easier.
- Cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.
Brown rice Flour Blend: 3 parts brown rice, 1 part potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch. Learn more about this here on my Guide to Gluten Free Flours