When I mention that I’m making this chicken salad for lunch, everyone in this house gets excited! We love it in sandwiches, over lettuce greens or spinach, or just on its own in a bowl. The dressing is made with Greek yogurt for a big protein boost, and a nice reduction in calories. I like to poach some chicken breasts during my weekly food prep just so I can mix this recipe up quickly in the mornings when I pack lunches.
What’s in my Chicken Salad?
- cooked and chopped chicken breasts
- sliced almonds ( you could also use slivered almonds)
- dried cranberries
- plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- sugar (only a tablespoon)
- poppy seeds, salt, and pepper
“That’s it?” my husband replied when I told him what he ate for lunch. “It tasted like there were a lot more ingredients than that. No mayo? No other spices?”
“I promise that’s all that was in it” I said.
And, as an added bonus – this recipe is fantastic for those who are allergic to eggs. If you have a salad with a creamy mayo-based dressing, chances are it contains eggs, since most mayonnaise is made with eggs. But not this one! I also have a yummy recipe for a healthy Ranch Dressing that is made with no mayo – and therefore, no eggs. My grandson ( who is allergic to eggs) loves it!
How to Make Chicken Salad with Cranberries and Poppy Seeds:
Step 1: Mix up the dressing.
Whisk the yogurt, vinegar, poppy seeds, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl until completely smooth.
Step 3: Combine all other ingredients.
Combine the chopped chicken, sliced celery, dried cranberries, and slivered almonds in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top, and toss to coat well. Now it’s ready to pack in a lunch box, or eat right away ( which is how my son likes to do it, ha ha).
Chicken Salad with Cranberries and Poppy Seeds
This chicken salad is low in calories, and has added protein from the Greek yogurt in the dressing. Celery, poppy seeds, and sliced almonds add crunch, and dried cranberries give it a tangy sweetness. Great for topping a salad or in a sandwich for lunch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: salads
- 1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken breast
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Whisk the yogurt, vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until completely smooth.
- Combine the chopped celery, diced chicken breast, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds in a large bowl
- Pour the dressing over the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and toss to coat well.
- Serve immediately, or eat within 2 or 3 hours.
This is great in sandwiches – but if you’re packing it for lunch, keep it separate from the bread and assemble your sandwich right before eating to keep the bread from getting soggy.
You can prepare this chicken salad a day or two in advance by leaving out the almonds and cranberries, and adding them to the salad when you’re ready to eat (or pack a lunch for the day). Otherwise the cranberries and almonds with soften and swell.
Tips & Tricks
- This is great in sandwiches – but if you’re packing it for lunch, keep it separate from the bread and assemble your sandwich right before eating to keep the bread from getting soggy.
- You can prepare this chicken salad a day or two in advance by leaving out the almonds and cranberries, and adding them to the salad when you’re ready to eat (or pack a lunch for the day). Otherwise the cranberries and almonds with soften and swell.
You May Also Like:
Here are some other awesome salads that you can pack for lunch: